Monday, January 30, 2012

Is it just me - or does it seem to you that the only way to get anywhere is to (AT BEST) twist the truth?

I constantly find myself having to exaggerate and lie to get by in life.



Examples: I have to exaggerate my resume' to even have the slightest chance of competing with the other "hot-shots" - I have to exaggerate my accomplishments and interviews (and lie about things that can't be verified). But if I am honest with myself - that special project I worked on was really just a bunch of dudes eating donuts - that prestigious award was just a nomination - that "distinction paper" was just a regular paper.



But what am I going to say to employers - that I really haven't accomplished anything that any other shmuck can't accomplish - and that I am mediocre?



The same goes to mating - one has to kind of put on a some kind of show in order to make mates attracted to oneself - or else you would not even get the time of day - what am I gonna say? That I'm actually just a typical guy with mid-range salary and a Toyota Camry? That I don't really do anything important - I just stamp papers? Even with some word-twisting, some confidence feigning, some exaggerating menial things while keeping a straight face - makes it BARELY enough to compete with the other shmucks.



I mean - when I think about myself - I just feel - terribly mediocre - and all the things that people do to stop being mediocre (e.g. activities and other "break from the routine" crap - tends to make them seem even more mediocre)...



I don't know - but sometimes - I feel like I'm living a lie - that I'm not really what I am on paper - and that IN REALITY - I really don't have anything special to offer anyone... Not that I want to feel special or something - its just - there are almost 7 billion people on earth - and I kind of feel like one of them (luckier than most) - but still just another worthless lying scumbag...



Problem is - if I am honest - I would probably lose the job I have - never find another job - never find a mate - and end up living under a bridge...Is it just me - or does it seem to you that the only way to get anywhere is to (AT BEST) twist the truth?
Chances are that you are not being completely honest with yourself. Most people with a healthy ego tend to see themselves as less than really are. Ask yourself what you value most in others. If you see integrity as an asset then your priorities will reflect this. The fact that you are attempting to analyze your values and project the outcome speaks volumes of the person you desire to be from your core. Ask your piers to share what they value most about you then expound on your strengths when selling yourself. Millions of workers do nothing more than push paper all day long but few hold true integrity. If you are reliable and trustworthy hold onto these values. Never compromise who you can be by being pressured into pretending you are something you are not.

No comments:

Post a Comment